Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

Project: Christmas presents

Materials: Colored paper, exacto knife, Elmer's glue stick

I like to make hand-cut paper cards for friends and family for special occasions. Over Thanksgiving, I was showing my grandma pictures of some of the cards I had made and she told me she was officially requesting one for Christmas. I decided if I was going to make a present out of it, I would work on a slightly larger scale. This is the first time I've done paper-cutting on anything larger than a 4x6 card, and also the first time I worked with an exacto knife instead of scissors, thanks to an awesome Martha Stewart exacto knife I received as an early Christmas present. I think it's especially made for scrapbookers or something, since the blade also comes with an embossing tool, tweezers, and a stabbing/poking tool. Pretty cool.

Anyway, I made the roses for my grandparents based off a photo I had taken of their garden over Thanksgiving. I made the fish skeleton for my aunt and her family. It relates to an art project my aunt had previously made, a clay "fossil" of a mythical horned seahorse. Naturally, I thought a creepy skeleton of a flying angler would go well with it.

 And here's the photo it's based on:
 You can't really tell in the photo, but I used a great pearlescent paper for the bones, so they sparkle a little in the light.
 Closeup of the natural history museum-style tag, which did not want to cooperate with my camera's flash:
 My aunt's lovely sea unicorn:

No comments:

Post a Comment