Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy (Belated) Birthday, America!

Project: Patriotic cookies for the 4th of July (aka 30th of June for my hungry coworkers)

Materials: America-shaped cookie cutter, royal icing, toothpicks, Martha Stewart Living magazine

Since I happen to have an America-shaped cookie cutter thanks to my sister, I really couldn't pass up the opportunity to use it for the 4th. This month's Martha Stewart Living magazine (which I promise I don't subscribe to, I just got it free from work) featured awesome "firework" cookies on the cover. The idea is you draw concentric circles on the cookie with red and blue icing, then drag toothpicks through the icing to create a pretty spiral design. I adapted them to fit the America shape.

 The cookies next to the magazine that provided the inspiration:

Step by step tutorial. Step 1: Draw concentric circles on a white, iced cookie.


 Step 2: Drag a toothpick through the wet icing! Easy as pie!

The finished products:

Hounds tooth! Kind of.

And for the half-Brit in my office, to celebrate his kinsmen's loss of a country.

Hope everyone had a happy and (mostly) healthy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment